Dentures are reliable appliances that can replace your missing teeth for years to come—but only if you take proper care of it by cleaning it each day. If you are not sure how to clean your denture, we are happy to help you! In order to properly scrub and sanitize your appliance, please do the following things:
· Rinse the denture after eating: While you eat, whether it’s a snack or meal, food particles cling to your artificial teeth and contaminate your appliance. So, make sure you rinse your denture after you eat so you can wash away the food particles and other loose debris.
· Clean your mouth: When you take your denture out for the day, clean your smile with the proper tools. If you still have natural teeth remaining, clean those chompers with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. If you don’t, clean your gums, cheeks, tongue, and roof of your mouth with a soft toothbrush or with a gauze pad. This will help keep your appliance clean.
· Brush your denture daily: Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste to brush your denture each day. This will remove the harmful particles, like plaque and bacteria, that threaten your smile.
· Soak the denture: It’s best to keep the appliance moist when it is not in your mouth, so do your best to keep it in a glass of water or a mild denture cleaner overnight. This will help keep the appliance in tip-top shape and it will also keep it from drying out.
· Visit your dentist: Make sure you visit your dentist every six months for a professional cleaning. Our team will deeply clean your oral cavity as well as your denture so you can have the best oral health possible.
If you clean your appliance each day by doing these five things, your denture will stay in tip-top shape and you will have a beautiful and stunning smile for years to come. If you have any questions about cleaning your denture or if you would like to know more, please call 203.775.6167 today and talk to a member of our caring Brookfield Family Dentistry, LLC team. We also encourage you to schedule an appointment with Dr. Marianne Morelli if you have any concerns. We look forward to hearing from you!